Relic-MC Forum

Map reset? Vote here!

Map reset? Vote here!
« on: November 11, 2017, 02:26:23 PM »
Should we reset the world?

Hello everyone! It has been some time and after being brought up by members, we have decided that we will put it to you guys whether you want this to happen as a community.

We understand this is a tougher choice for those that have newly joined or who have been actively pursuing a project on the server, so after some consideration we are balancing this choice with some amendments and notices:

• We will increase the amount you can take for this move to a full double chest of items! The exclusion of raw diamond, gold, iron or emerald is still in effect.
  • Smuggling Pablo chickens is so forbidden. What, you think you might get a prize for doing it? Dream on.Only one tho
  • Pets and economy accounts will be reset, as well as all worlds. Go out and enjoy your savings while you can!
  • Post yes or no (give reasons if you like) on this thread to vote. One vote per person and no, you can't use alts/mules. Anyone caught will have all their votes not count.
  • The thread will be closed on Saturday 18th November, around 22:30 GMT. It will then be locked, tallied and results announced.
  • If more players say yes, We will open up the keepsake chest area up (located at spawn, near the end and nether portals) for people to deposit items.
  • If more people say no, business as usual and I'll give everyone on a seperately posted thread a bittersweet cookie.
  • One post in here only please, with your vote, yes or no. If you want to debate with fellow players about the merits of either choice, take it to the discord.

Re: Map reset? Vote here!
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 02:32:15 PM »
I'm gonna say yes the world just feels very meh (this coming from the guy who spent most of his time making a very large hole

Gasty

• Probably not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »
I vote yes. I agree with Tunnel. The map itself was very bland to begin with and ive done everything there is to do already.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 02:39:28 PM »
I vote yes.
Yes, I am a watermelon...

WillowWisp

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 04:32:11 PM »
I vote no, but only because my friend and I are fairy new players and we've just finished building our home. I wouldn't mind rebuilding too much but it is always depressing to finally be settled and suddenly have to do it all again. And I'd lose my pet creeper Squishy....

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 06:29:13 PM »
I vote no and it's not because I don't want a new map.

TL;DR Version
Paragraph 1: Introduction to Player Retention Problem
Paragraph 2: "Callum and the Divide release" - Overview of minigames and activities
Paragraph 3: Player Retention Addressed
Paragraph 4: Map Lifespan - Usually 1 year (Included Divide Possible Additions)
Paragraph 5: My Personal Bias

Time and time again we all say the same thing, "I would like to see a new map, I'll promise I'll play more and make the most out of it." We all know the statistic, by changing the map to fresh, you gain on average 7-15 players a day at different intervals. That stays like that for maybe a week and a half. The people who are invested in gathering and building stay while most of the proponents for the new map leave for other games or just get burned out. To a select few of us (myself included), this bothers us because we spend a good portion of the time gathering and building up reserves of materials. Players like myself burn through everything that minecraft has to offer us, including be able to kill the dragon within a few hours of game time. The problem that plagues this community is is that we don't spend enough time helping each other and building to show off. We have a very dedicated Architect Team, but we don't have a wealth of talented builders creating content outside that which is done collectively by staff. The aforementioned statement is backed up by the fact that we have a significant player retention problem.

Something that Callum recently did was release the Divide. This is actually important in that it gives a challenge to people like myself, Tunnel, and others that like to be challenged. But that being said, we have so many "non-vanilla" side games and activities that they themselves don't retain people either. For instance, Siege had the promise of being something really cool, especially the Hunger Games variant by Bio. Neither of those "group" scenarios lasted very long, but demanded lots of hours by the Architect Team.

Reeling in my point about player retention being a problem, I think that much of this map went unexplored and untouched by a majority of the player base. We had a significant amount of people on for launch, but rapidly dropped after the first week. I think that if there was a way to give incentives for people to go to certain areas or to build in certain areas and team up "in the overworld" like for instance, "relic lore quests" or "relic is angry and summoned bandits to raid a lore building." Also, regenerating or even adding difficulty to current temples (mostly regenerating) and stuff could also be something to do.

Another thing is that most of our maps have a lifespan of roughly a year to which I would honestly like to keep it that way because we have other worlds that regenerate on a consistent basis. The Divide is basically a new map every (week?) so I don't see the point in a new overall map. Something to consider is maybe expanding the border of the Divide? Or even adding (raid bosses) mega-bosses to the divide that require teams of 4+? I mean the possibilities are endless.

Lastly my bias, I feel kinda cheated in a way that we're thinking about doing this towards the end of a college semester. I feel like we would have the same exact problem for spring, so it doesn't make any sense to me but to each their own. Having the yearly resets give people who want to build large things time to do them. For instance, Nature is nearly halfway done with a massive cathedral he's been so kind as to build for me. The project so far has taken more than 250+ hours collectively of mining, clearing, and building. I wouldn't of undertaken a project on this scale if I would of known the map would of lasted for less than half a year.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 06:30:50 PM by Yomshii »

BrunoJonesky

• For whom does the bell toll?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2017, 07:03:30 PM »
No! I have plans to finish my estate during the break. Jack and me have spent a considerable amount of time building our current builds, and it would be a damn shame to loose them! It's been a busy semester and I look forward to returning to my builds. But if the yeas win would it be possible to add a page on the website to download former maps?
It tolls for thee.

Bernd_das_BrotB7

• Tally Ho! I say!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
I vote no.

As others have stated many people have ongoing projects on the current map and unless those can be moved over in light of the early map change I cannot in good conscience condemn those builds, despite my own lack of activity (which is not map related so much as due to my current enamourment with the Lord of the Rings mod) and having known how frustrating it can be to have so much work lost.
I would recommend if and when there is a map change to try tweaking the world gen a little if possible within the current server engine, perhaps a world with an unusually high sea level (for that one I would strongly recommend putting the movecraft plugin on the server as moving ships would be really fun) or extremely hilly terrain, to present challenges to builders and explorers alike that many servers do not provide, giving Relic a unique selling point.
I am British before you ask... :p

CLGREEN

• #TeamHomo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
I have made a thred here for the people that want to talking about stuff, I for one will be making a post here a little later.

https://relic-mc.com/forum/index.php/topic,1534.0.html

(Thanks for your feedback so far)
I can normally be found fixing something or yelling at someone....

(Please be aware, I am dyslexic and therefore I may have made some spelling or grammar mistakes in the above comment. I apologise if this is the case)

AscendedWolf26

• The true nottinattor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
I'm torn. I want to get on and do things that I had planned, things that I had others interested in. My laptop however, had other plans.

Part of me says "I can do this on this map still, and if youcan't you can get the resources from it, and take them to the next map". The other part says "A new map will make this a lot easier."

However, seeing a few others and what they have said, some of these players being ones I have gotten the interests of with a project that never happened, I have made up my mind.

My vote: No.
STOP JUDGING ME!

Silmaera

• I AM THE FORUM JANITOR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 03:50:31 PM »
Welp, it has been tallied and it appears it is business as usual, folks! This subject will be brought up again at a later date, thanks to all who voted. Enjoy the cookies!*

*Cookies are imaginary
Have a question? Click here   to shoot me a message!