Relic-MC Forum

Community involvement

Community involvement
« on: March 30, 2018, 11:40:06 PM »
Hey all, first I'd like to thank you for getting on the forums to read this

I'm here to talk about Minecraft.

Yes we all know that the server is not extremely active, and well dead towards the beginning of the next update cycle. Since 1.13 is coming out shortly, I was wondering what is currently being looked into and what people would like to see be added to the server to keep people coming back. Sure we all come on for grief day, we play for the first couple of weeks of the new update, but most of us end up leaving and go about our business while new players join to find the server vacant.

I am willing to put in time to be active a couple hours a day on average and do my best to make it look like someone plays on the server, but ideally the more the merrier to join me would be cool.

TLDR
Leave a comment attached to this (Staff or Community Member) about what is being done or what you would like to see done for the server.

Thanks,
Yomshii

Bernd_das_BrotB7

• Tally Ho! I say!
    • View Profile
Re: Community involvement
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2018, 05:21:17 AM »
I've been around now and again recently, usually alone, forever alone... :p
I am British before you ask... :p

Radiz

• The Super Saiyan Rosé
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2018, 12:09:48 PM »
I'll be on every once and a while for the new update, I'd love to get Outer Haven up and running based in the ocean with all the new ocean content

K, cya.
-Radiz "Radish"

Silmaera

• I AM THE FORUM JANITOR!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 02:22:26 PM »
I see this, I can't really go into detail and I know it has been really quiet on the pixel block front, we have been working on things and want it to be fully functional before we introduce them. I understand this means pauses like this, but we believed this would be the best way, we have pushed out things before that were not quite ready and have had an unsatisfactory result, this is more often than not reflected in player response too.

Bear with us, we will have something nice coming your way :) The new update throws a lot of things into question about how they will perform but we believe this will be the right thing to do. Our intention is for the server to be a cool place to be and have fun, that hasn't changed. By all means, give us suggestions, we take everything into account.

I am willing to put in time to be active a couple hours a day on average and do my best to make it look like someone plays on the server, but ideally the more the merrier to join me would be cool.

I appreciate what you're talking about but I would rather you played here because you wanted to, rather than just being a presence.
Have a question? Click here   to shoot me a message!

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 03:50:49 PM »

I understand this, but nothing screams "nobody plays on the server" like having 0/30 or 0/40 players online. People stay on or even log into the server more often if they have someone online to be with or are playing with friends.

CLGREEN

• #TeamHomo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 04:18:01 PM »
As I said in the Discord what would be nice is to find out what people actually wanna do with the MC server and other things?

This MC update is a very large one and it's going to change a lot on the MC server both in terms of what players do and do not see.

The thing people need to understand is that Myself, Sil, Tunnel, Spark, Goop and Wynter are limited to so much, we can ensure that we have an awesome space for you all to do what you need to do, however we can't do this alone. We need everyone getting our name out there, getting people to come and play on the server / Discord. Without you guys the community as a whole can't 'take off'.

I said this to a player who wanted to split off and start his own Discord and wanted to 'Bridge'. Doing stuff like that harms our community, splitting off and starting your own thing and making the discord look empty and taking most people on our discord with you really does a lot of harm.

Why not invite and use the Relic Discord? Is it the rules that are the issue? Is it a player?

The only way we can actually be a good place is if we talk about what we can ALL do to help our community, and this is not just about MC. We don't just run MC anymore we have not for months, we have ARK, The Forest, LOL, MC, Dead by Daylight etc.. they are all stuff we play to just name a few.
I can normally be found fixing something or yelling at someone....

(Please be aware, I am dyslexic and therefore I may have made some spelling or grammar mistakes in the above comment. I apologise if this is the case)

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 04:36:20 PM »
Things I'd personally would like to see:

Much smaller and rather straight-forward spawn:
Time spent here is rather minimal, whereas i understand it's the first thing people see, you can shrink the size of it considerably and have it still look relatively nice.

Instead of the server shops all being in spawn, I would like to recommend them be scattered in the 4 hubs, in addition to spaces for players to "rent" space for personal shops and encourages people to explore all the hubs.

If the Relic lore is still a thing and races are still being implemented, I would love to see some aspects of the factions in the overworld, or possibly "quests" to like appease the relic or something.

Once/Twice a week staff-run community events: Scavenger hunts, easter egg hunt, hide n seek, etc. Something that gives a decent incentive for participation.

Possible high-reward events (aside from the generous divide) that require teams of people to do.

Possibly look into raising server difficulty? (I already understand that we have different worlds for different types of players, but I believe the PvE of the mainworld is a bit too easy)

I, and maybe some others, would love to have a lock-picking system (Diamond hoe that gives players heart damage for failed lockpick attempts) for raiding, pvp rules would remain unaffected.

Above are a bunch of ideas, im not advocating to returning to the era of metroids by any means. However; sitting at almost 1 million (off by a couple stacks of gold blocks) silver, I felt like that there was no purpose in continuing to mine. So I farmed the ender dragon for a bit, that got boring real quick, so I collected materials for the cathedral, which still needs to be completed... but alas at the end of the day, I felt like other people "burnt" out of the pve aspect and wanted more. I get it, people are afraid to lose everything from people going around and killing their animals and looting their stuff, but it gives incentive to build a better base, to replenish what they have lost. This map I just had all my chests and animals out in the open. Nobody killed them, nobody messed with me. So to keep people like me, those who do pretty much all there is to do, content (divide was a great start) needs to be either added or tweaked.

I feel like we've babied the server to an extent where it's annoyingly boring, which we need to figure out where the middleground is.

CLGREEN

• #TeamHomo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 02:55:23 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me, I am going to split your post up a little so we can dive down on what you raised, I am going to be honest as possible here with you so if I seem a little blunt I am sorry in advance it’s not meant to come across like that at all.

Much smaller and rather straight-forward spawn:
Time spent here is rather minimal, whereas i understand it's the first thing people see, you can shrink the size of it considerably and have it still look relatively nice.

Instead of the server shops all being in spawn, I would like to recommend them be scattered in the 4 hubs, in addition to spaces for players to "rent" space for personal shops and encourages people to explore all the hubs.

This is something that myself and a few other in staff have said before and we are in progress of working out how to make it more simple and how to make it more easy for players to use but still have the fundamentals of what is needed for a spawn, one of the things I think happened here was Spawn is heavily deep in the server lore, and I think the ‘simplicity’ needed got a little lost, I think it’s easy for the AT to do this no fault of them but when you build something and you have a plan of something to you the builder it’s easy and simple but to someone who has not been explained what to do or how to use the thing then it can become complex and hard to understand. But yes we are working on something to make it more simple for you all to use along with making it more simple to navigate around the worlds etc.. without going to spawn to do so.

The hub and a shop idea was alright brought up before and it again is something we will be looking to do, the idea we had is to have it like it is now you have ‘4’ areas in the spawn shop so in the over world it would be the same, so for example one hub will deal with food, another will deal with spells and potions etc. again we will also look into making it more simple to jump from one hub to another.

If the Relic lore is still a thing and races are still being implemented, I would love to see some aspects of the factions in the overworld, or possibly "quests" to like appease the relic or something.

This is something I would like to see as well, something we had the idea of or when we start the lore was the lore we make is just a baseline and then players would build off that with other players and would add their own twist to the lore it, would not affect the underlining of the main server lore but could be noted by staff and added to a general history timeline.

The main issue with doing this and it kinda follows on to the one below here is staff and time, I really would love to have tasks for you all to follow and funny little goofy things, Anyone remember “(Pablo is at it again!)”.

However if a player had a idea of how to do something or wanted to plan an event then they are more then welcome to shoot anyone on staff (Best Me or Sil), and we can have a chat with them to help them execute the plan. We can give players space in the AT world to build what they need to build.

Once/Twice a week staff-run community events: Scavenger hunts, easter egg hunt, hide n seek, etc. Something that gives a decent incentive for participation.

Possible high-reward events (aside from the generous divide) that require teams of people to do.

Again, like I said above, this is mainly staff / time that's the issue here. I have a full time job and work odd hours I don’t get home till gone 8 at night and I am out the door at 7:30 in the morning and the weekends I just wanna chill and see IRL friends, I try and fit in server maintenance and ensuring that the server is up to date as much as possible. Until we get more staff and more people who can help out we are very limited to what we can and can not do.

Possibly look into raising server difficulty? (I already understand that we have different worlds for different types of players, but I believe the PvE of the mainworld is a bit too easy)

(See below)

I, and maybe some others, would love to have a lock-picking system (Diamond hoe that gives players heart damage for failed lockpick attempts) for raiding, pvp rules would remain unaffected.

Above are a bunch of ideas, im not advocating to returning to the era of metroids by any means. However; sitting at almost 1 million (off by a couple stacks of gold blocks) silver, I felt like that there was no purpose in continuing to mine. So I farmed the ender dragon for a bit, that got boring real quick, so I collected materials for the cathedral, which still needs to be completed... but alas at the end of the day, I felt like other people "burnt" out of the pve aspect and wanted more. I get it, people are afraid to lose everything from people going around and killing their animals and looting their stuff, but it gives incentive to build a better base, to replenish what they have lost. This map I just had all my chests and animals out in the open. Nobody killed them, nobody messed with me. So to keep people like me, those who do pretty much all there is to do, content (divide was a great start) needs to be either added or tweaked.

Ok, this is the big topic here and I have put them both together because they kinda fall under one another, this has been a very big argument since the days of old server the balance of PVE / PVP.

PVE on the server is set to ‘Normal’ meaning it’s the default, I would have to look up the MC difference between them it’s been awhile since I have looked that up, I know they changed it a few updates back.

Ok PVP. Right. As some of you might know my name is on the door, and that is true I am the ‘owner’ and I am responsible for keeping the lights on and paying the server bill at the end of the month. (It’s not cheap ±.±). However that is the extent of my sole responsibility, everything else is a group effort from staff that being from day to day operations, rule changes, unbanning people, trusted applications, changing spawn, adding and removing rules etc.. This is done by ‘Heads’.

Our other responsibility is ensuring there is a balance of how things are run, to make sure that staff are being fair and not going around abusing power. So when it comes to this topic it’s a hard one it’s not a simple issue of find the balance because you have one end that would actually like no PVP at all and you have the other end that would like hardcore PVP. When myself, Amroth and Sil had the original Skype meeting at 2am while I was sitting in bed about starting Relic-MC we all agreed that Relic-MC would NOT be a pvp heaven where pvp will rule the server with a diamond sword.

Now, I understand that veteran players of Minecraft get bored and then move on after quickly achieving their goals .They end up being bored faster than someone who has never done it before and is testing things out.

However for a moment let’s just look at the other side, what about the players that want to just come here and get on with that they wanna do, they don't wanna be bothered, they don’t wanna pvp, they don't want to lose their stuff, they just spent the day getting killed, for then someone to laugh at them and call them a “n00b”, certain players did this all the time and it really, really pissed me off! That player could have known 13 people from school who he was about to go tell them about the server, and someone then just killed the idea of that. This is why the rules are clear on PVP, if you wanna go on a killing spree go use the games world or the divide while the players.

You have to remember this is a SMP/RP server not PVP or factions like it was in the past. If people really do want to see this then I kinda wanna know who? And I don’t mean the players that never play here and come back once a year to cause trouble and then leave.

We don’t want this to become a PVP centric server and the lockpicking is a big point of contention. Some are all for it, others despise it. My biggest issue with this is when we put up the voting post, old players (I’m talking people I haven’t seen here in 8+ MONTHS) came in and gave the “Yeah we want this!” Then went away. No offense to those players, but I want to hear from people who recently play and how this would affect their experience here.

Again I would like to know who wants this? Also when we looked last time around the reason it was never implemented is the plugin was dead and we could not find a good plugin to replace it. Also this was brought up by people who at the best used to cause nothing but headache for the staff because they used to camp new players and annoy them and used to push the rules to the limit and they knew they were doing it.

If you want to see the divide tweaked and made better then I am more than happy to hear what you would like to see and what you would like me to do to make it better and I will see what I can do to make it better.

I feel like we've babied the server to an extent where it's annoyingly boring, which we need to figure out where the middleground is.

I have to disagree with this comment, we keep it as SMP / RP as possible and not a “fight me I am bored” type, again if you think we have something in place that really bugs you then come and chat with us, we can’t read minds. I might give you a response you might not like but I am willing to have a chat about something like I have done in this post, like I said at the top I am being honest here and I am giving the reasons as to why we do what we do and why things are the way they are, I have been doing this job since I was 16 - 17 I am now 23 going on 24. I have been SA on over 5 servers I have a lot of experience and I have been all sides of the story.

I think our rules are actually fair and not that demanding or limiting. Our rules are also less complex than most.
I can normally be found fixing something or yelling at someone....

(Please be aware, I am dyslexic and therefore I may have made some spelling or grammar mistakes in the above comment. I apologise if this is the case)

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 06:50:40 PM »
In terms of additional divide stuff, maybe looking into "Orespawn" (Tunnel recommended) as a source of inspiration.

Also, shop (probably) needs to be revamped/tweaked.

New things to buy with Currency? (Sil would probably have some ideas maybe)