Relic-MC Forum

Let's chat about the Minecraft Server!

CLGREEN

• #TeamHomo
    • View Profile
Let's chat about the Minecraft Server!
« on: May 17, 2018, 02:21:59 PM »
Hello all, and thank-you for reading this. I wanted to start off by saying how proud I am of everyone and everything; the community, the staff and the players for sticking around as much as they have.

The Minecraft Server: What are we planning to do?

So with 1.13 around the corner I wanted to mention some updates on our Minecraft server. From the backend side of things, we have a handful of staff at the moment and I am not able to commit more than the little time I have at to a server that really needs more time then I am giving it. I have had a chat with staff about this and have agreed that I will be trimming the server and plugins we have a log with the worlds we have on the server, we will also be shaving legs what we do on the server.

When 1.13 comes out we will only have 4 main worlds, the spawn world, the end, the nether and the main world. (Yes we will be removing the divide, this is down to hard dependencies in MC that are are going to be broken in the update and it would take a lot of CL hours to fix).

We will also be removing most of our plugins other then the simple ones like grief prevention, LWC, chat plugin, home and spawn. We have not made a formal decision on this at the moment but we might be removing the shops all together.

We will also be reducing the number of slots we offer on the server; at the moment there are 40 slots, this will drop down to 20.

We will also removing the ‘Lore’ aspect to our server this includes the Races and classes. (This is a really massive change and please read below as to why).

Ok, so why are you doing this?

The main reason for doing this is time, I don’t have a lot of it, I am taking more responsibility on in work and don’t have time to continue with the demand that comes with the server. I don’t really want to ‘give up’ on the server or the community, this is a place where my friends come to chill and play games. I have met some of the most amazing people here! And you are all fantastic people, the other reason for doing this is the cost, as much as I love the community and the people there is a cost involved with running a community and some of you guys help as much as you can and I am beyond thankful for this! However I still fork out the cost of the machine, web hosting and all the other fun stuff that comes with hosting the community. The other thing we don’t have anymore is staff. We have had some fantastic people in the past and they have all done amazing jobs however we just don't have the (wo)manpower anymore.

The biggest and most important reason of them all is Bukkit, the software that runs our server is dead and has been for sometime. We use Spigot that is a branch of Bukkit and even though ‘Spigot’ itself is still up and running and still being developed, the plugins that actually make our server work however are NOT being updated for Bukkit and are no longer receiving updates at all! The last major version to our core worlds and portal system was over 2 years ago. I am always finding bugs with the older plugins and trying to find new ways to combat the bugs and used to use Thursday to try and patch as much as he could to fix the issue and as we don't longer have a Thursday on hand to fix the issues something has to change and it’s with this I am making this hard choice to move us to ‘Sponge’.

With this a lot of plugins are not on Sponge and some commands might change. (If they do I will be sure to post them on the forums with full details.)

I want to make it clear that the choice to make the minecraft server smaller and slimline our plugins is difficult, I would also like to make it clear that there is no clear outline for what will be in the new slimmed down version of the server and that information will only become more clear once the server is actually being put together once the update is out.

With all of this I wanted to go back and touch on the spawn following posts and feedback from the community Wynter, Tunnel, myself, Sil and Goopy have been working hard to make a new spawn for you all to make it more simple and refined for you all to use. we hope this will be new player friendly and we are really looking forward to you all to see the finished product.

Other Update:

On the 7th of June from 7am till 5pm UK time there will be some maintenance happening from our ISP that could affect the ARK and The Forest servers. People might notice higher latency and loss of service to our Network. We hope there will be no loss of service on this date however there might be. We apologise in advance.

Thanks,
CLGREEN and Team.
I can normally be found fixing something or yelling at someone....

(Please be aware, I am dyslexic and therefore I may have made some spelling or grammar mistakes in the above comment. I apologise if this is the case)

Bernd_das_BrotB7

• Tally Ho! I say!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's chat about the Minecraft Server!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 02:48:51 PM »
It really is a shame about Bukkit, one way around the problem might be to move away from vanilla and run and older version (most likely 1.7.10) with some light mods. While it would be a great shame to lose, it would cut back drastically on many of the problems mentioned without a huge loss of features. Plus many well loved old plugins would once again be usable such as Movecraft.
If this were the case having something like the Gulliver Mod could be an interesting option - allowing players to choose their scale in a similar manner to races currently - which would present some interesting gameplay challenges to players.
I am British before you ask... :p

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 06:06:39 AM »
With the game update  will there also be a new map ?

CLGREEN

• #TeamHomo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 01:58:58 PM »
With the game update  will there also be a new map ?

The plan at the moment will be yes, along with a grief day. This will make it more smooth to do the above.
I can normally be found fixing something or yelling at someone....

(Please be aware, I am dyslexic and therefore I may have made some spelling or grammar mistakes in the above comment. I apologise if this is the case)

CyborgNarwhal

• "Believe in the me that believes in you"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »
I was curious about the map reset. A Few of my friends along with myself have been waiting till after the reset before we start playing the server, however, it has been 2 months since anything was posted regarding the reset. Is it still a thing?
Memes

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2018, 12:11:57 PM »
I was curious about the map reset. A Few of my friends along with myself have been waiting till after the reset before we start playing the server, however, it has been 2 months since anything was posted regarding the reset. Is it still a thing?

Yeah, still waiting on Sponge (Server Build) to release a stable build that won't have bugs/cause world corruption/delete backups, etc. Sponge has a lot of work to do since 1.13 is pretty much the largest update we've ever seen for minecraft. If you haven't already checked the discord  https://discord.gg/kUQxwv , CLGREEN has laid out the progress of the Sponge build and is keeping us informed of what's transpiring. From my point of view, we might be looking at mid-late September with how things are progressing. Optimistically though, we could have stuff going sooner than that.